Thursday, October 20, 2005

Sweden: "I always feel liberated when I go to Israel"

This was posted by Swedish reader JohannaV as a comment at Norwegian blog Dokument.no. I have translated it to English, and Johanna has accepted my translation with minor adjustments. Notice how even some non-Jews from Sweden feel "liberated" when they go to Israel. This may sound strange if you still cling on to the image of Israel as a country of suicide bombers and Sweden is a peaceful nation. The truth is, it is hard to overstate the extent to which Sweden is a politically repressed nation. No dissent is tolerated, and the few "racists" who try to raise a debate about immigration are attacked, even physically:



JohannaV: "I always feel liberated when I go to Israel"

I know this dilemma well from Sweden. So far, I have avoided coming in a situation where I had to turn to a woman dressed in hijab to get service. But I wonder how I should act if I am assigned a veiled woman when I need health care or other kinds of service. Should I expose myself to being called a racist and demand to get another doctor or nurse, or should I, as a vulnerable patient, put up with being treated by someone I don't feel confidence in? Just as in Norway, any discussion of Islamic symbols in the public space and the messages they send out is shut down.

A hijab to me represents Islamism, a totalitarian and undemocratic movement that threatens everything I hold dear: Our open and tolerant Western society. Accordingly, my tolerance does not include veiled women just as I don't want to be served in the supermarket by an employee wearing a swastika. It doesn't matter whether the woman is wearing this symbol by her own free will or not, or whether she claims that the veil stands for something other than Islamism.

At the same time as these women say they are against our individualistic society, they claim the right to have individual opinions on what the hijab means to them: that the veil stands for love of God etc, regardless of what the general society thinks about this. A veiled woman in my eyes thus symbolizes, in addition to Islamism, extreme selfishness and a lack of regard for the non-Muslims who have accepted and welcomed her to the Western fellowship.

In Sweden, there is no clear external enemy, the enemy exists among our own. Among the Islamists with Swedish citizenship and among the intellectuals who defend them or keep silent, or worse, libel the ones that breaks this conspirasion of silence as racists.

Every year I go for short trips to Israel. I always feel liberated there. In Israel, you know who the country's enemies are, and you are prepared to fight for your country and for your convictions. First of all with the pen – the intellectual debate is lively and refreshing – but even with the force of arms if necessary.

In Sweden, a lot of people sigh and wonder when we are going to be converted by force to Islam. I'm not exaggerating. There is a submissive atmosphere of hopelessness and widespread decadence
. During the past ten years, I have felt like a stranger in my own country. And that feeling just keeps growing.

4 Comments:

At October 20, 2005 3:26 PM, Blogger Oscar in Kansas said...

"... when we are going to be converted by force to Islam." Fjordman - have you heard similar conversations? Can it be that bad in Sweden? Will the Swedes really just accept this with such fatalistic resignation? Unthinkable to us Americans. Will no one rise up among the repressed Swedes to combat this?

A very depressing post to read so early in the morning.

 
At October 21, 2005 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an eloquent, but heart-breaking post. As an American, I thought Scandinavia would be a safe place to escape to. Our country is overrun with millions of illegal aliens and our President does nothing about it. We have hundreds, if not thousands of "sleeper cells" of radical Islamists just waiting to be activated. The worst thing of all is the people in your own country who are apologists for the ones trying to destroy it. I just don't understand how they can be so blind. Swedes are very smart people, but much too polite. Aren't there any grassroot movements to get people elected who reflect the views of most Swedes? Don't sit by and watch your beautiful country be destroyed.

 
At October 23, 2005 7:26 PM, Blogger Runnymede1215 said...

Well, I´m swedish, and quite actively involved in working against Islam and islamization at www.fomi.nu (FJORDMAN, PLEASE OBSERVE OUR NEW URL!!)

I haven't actually heard the phrase "... when we are going to be converted by force to Islam."

In Sweden nowadays people simply pretend that everything's just fine, hoping it will all work out just fine just as long we keep on smiling and being "nice" to each other.

But I suspect more people are aware of the situation than one would suspect from a quick glance.

We swedes doesn't like to talk about unpleasant matters until we absolutely have to, and someone seems have a solution we all can have a nice "consensus" about. But then we seem to act rather forcefully.

"Aren't there any grassroot movements to get people elected who reflect the views of most Swedes?"

- No, not really. There are the "Sverigedemokraterna". But they are rather intellectually challenged, some kind of leftist, overly nationalistic/patriotic group of people, giving the impression of trying to please underprivileged working class people who are afraid of losing their social welfare because of too many immigrants.

SD is quite bizarre, very anachronistic. Extremely unsuccessfull, totally ignored and not likely to succeed. They keep repeating they aren't racist anymore (founded by nazis). I think they are.

No one likes them, and no one ever will. Basically they are the kind of parties so common in Europe, popping up and destroying all possibilities of a rational debate and a credible alternative to this mainstream islamophile eurabization policy.

Well, please visit us at FOMI

 
At October 24, 2005 1:30 AM, Blogger Runnymede1215 said...

Wild knight, no I´m swedish, and I guess I could translate articles to english, but many of the articles at Islamkritik are translated/edited from english, together with my own comments, so it would feel a bit silly to translate them back.

But it's true, there are a few articles that could be of use in the non-scandinavian world as well I guess. I'll look into it when I have the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home